Monday 4 April 2011

Notes to self after butchery 2011

I know I said in an earlier post that I can attach the nozzle to the front of the sausage machine to speed up the whole process, but I think I should ignore that next time. I think I might find it easier - and less effort, and certainly less sweary - if I mince the meat first, then add the breadcrumbs, herbs etc, then put it back through the machine into the skins. I'll let me know how this works out.

Also, I don't think I should worry too much about stripping out the tendons at the hock ends of the legs. Any bits that look like a lot of work can go into a delicious slow-cooked, fall-apart-in-the-mouth curry. Or rillettes.

Oh yes - I should cut the flare fat away before leaving the pig overnight. Makes things a bit easier the next day.

I probably shouldn't bother with the lean pork chunks - it makes for a fattier sausage mix. And while I'm on that point, I mustn't forget to put some belly aside for the sausages. I know bacon is delicious but recipes are recipes. And get some mace next time!

No comments: