Friday 25 April 2008

Speak French like a native: Lesson 2

A few weeks ago, I went to "Success in the Dordogne" - an event organised by Périgord Développement designed to help British people establish businesses in these parts.

On the way out, I was accosted by a beautiful young French woman who invited me to enter a Free Prize Draw for a weekend for two in a French Chateau Hotel. In the spirit of 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained', I entered the Draw and walked away.

This morning, two people from a local bank came to the house to tell me I'd won.

Which leads me nicely into today's French expression, which you'll hear shouted out by children in playgrounds around the country, and by me in rooms all over this house: "J'ai gagné" (pron: Dzay gan-yay). J'ai gagné.

4 comments:

Café del Nightmare said...

Ah, Karma, glad you're back. How was your trip?

the devolutionary said...

I think it was here all the time. I just didn't see it. It's always been a bit of a chame, chame, chame, chame, chameleon, Karma.

patroclus said...

Félicitations!

the devolutionary said...

Merci, Patroclus. And I think that counts as Lesson 3.