Friday 9 January 2009

Lard, larder, lardest

I’ve probably said it before, but this lifestyle teaches you a lot about the origins of English – words (like the scared meaning of ‘chicken’) and expressions (like ‘eats like a pig’).

The other day, I came across another one.

Her Outdoors was making lard (a process that takes a helluvalongtime, I can tell you), which was used to preserve food in Days Gone By. You (or someone like you) would put food in a suitable container, cover it with lard to keep out the air and store it in the... pantry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talking of larders, do you need anything sent in the parcel that I am sending in the next couple of days? Chilli crisps? Chilli sauce? Let me know asap please!

(making LARD. . . omg.)

the devolutionary said...

I'd love some chilli crisps. But it might make the package a bit bulky. We'll be making our own chilli sauce now, thanks, luvvie...

Anonymous said...

Parcel posted this morning. May have been cheaper to fly over and hand deliver but anyway . . . I'll leave you guessing about the chilli crisps . . . .