Wednesday 17 October 2007

All work and no pay

There are two reasons why I haven't blogged for a while:

1) I've been working.

and

2) I've been working.

Let me explain.

A few weeks ago, tired of waiting for any kind of permission from the DDE, we started working on the land.

Day One saw me, medieval-style slashing weapon in hands, pruning saw in belt holster and secateurs (sécateurs) in pocket, clearing space in the woods where the guest yurts will be. If you find yourself doing this, I recommend cutting the small trees as close to the ground as you can - to save cutting them again when you discover the tripping hazards you've just created.

After a few minutes, I was interrupted by the thundering of hooves.

Hunters, I thought, already wary about being shot at (not wearing orange, on unfenced land, unprotected by "Hunters will not be invited to dinner" signs).

The noise got closer. The ground shook. Then several adult deer, including a stag with serious antlers, burst out of the woods about a hundred yards (metres) away, charged across the field, and disappeared into the woods on the other side.

Our field, I thought. Our woods, I thought. It was a perfect moment.

And one that definitely beats staring at a computer screen (he says, staring at a computer screen).

Now we have become more organised, me and Clare take turns to spend half a day working on the land, and half a day looking after boy (I don't know which is harder). Leaving the rest of the time for chores, although many evenings have been spent indulging in Season 3 of Greys Anatomy, recently bought from UK ebay.

Wednesday afternoon (which, if you've been paying attention, you'll know is no-school day) and Clare has taken the daughter to her riding lesson (more on this later, with pictures), a load of nappies is being treated in our washing machine (all our stuff arrived from England recently - more on this later), and I'm about to spend some time staring at a computer screen.

Copywriting.

Unbelievable.

But there are two reasons why this is better than the copywriting I was doing before:

1) It's about some kind of climate-control device, translating from the French into English for an Indonesian audience. (I know.)

and

2) I've already been paid. (A whole bottle of wine.)

No comments: